The Facts About Clock and Watch Collecting and Repair
There are many sources for antique clocks and watches. Each source provides its’ own range of quality and price when shopping for antique clocks and watches.
- Antique shops: What you see is what you get. Generally, these are sold “as is”. Quality and condition can be below average with high prices. Often the age and price of a clock or watch can be exaggerated by the seller with the hope that a naive buyer will take the bait. I personally know of a person who paid $4000 for a $600 clock. An astute collector will usually avoid these shops. In a rare instance there may be a diamond among the rough. Most antique shop owners have a very good idea regarding the value of their inventory.
- Antique auctions: Generally the quality can be the same or superior to antique shops. It depends greatly on the auction house and the source of the auctions’ inventory. You are more likely to pay a fair price and have a better chance in finding something special. I like buying at auction, but auctions can vary widely in type and quality of merchandise. To find auctions in your area, search the following site: http://www.auctionzip.com/
- Estate sales: You never know what you may discover. Sometimes it can be a once in a life time find.See the picture to the right of a large 3 weight Vienna Grand Sonnerie Regulator by the Viennese clockmaker Adolf Weinberger. This is my best estate sale find to date.
Usually the clocks or watches are fair to average. Prices can be reasonable to high. If the estate sale is professionally arranged, prices can be high. Often there is a 20% or higher discount on everything remaining the second day of the sale. Chances are that the best items are already sold on the first day. If is a private or family arranged estate sale, prices can be very reasonable. You can find estate sales in your area by searching the following link: https://www.estatesales.net/
- Clock and watch collectors: Collectors of antique clocks and watches have the best clocks or watches with regard to condition and selection. I have found their prices to be very reasonable. The hard part is finding collectors willing to part with their clocks or watches. You can find collectors at NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors) conventions and local chapters.
- Antique clock and watch collector associations: NAWCC http://nawcc.org/ , AWCI http://www.awci.com/ and BHI http://bhi.co.uk/ are the largest organizations for clock and watch enthusiasts. Everyone from the casual collector to professional horologists can be found in these associations. Many of these associations have fairs, regional and national conventions. Many antique clocks, watches and collectors can be found at these events. A great opportunity to find and buy antique clocks and watches.
- The least likely place to find antique clocks and watches are at garage sales. There was a time many years ago that you might have found something at a garage sale, but not much anymore.
The popularity of antique clocks and watches has grown tremendously over the last couple of decades. There are many reasons. Some think it is due to an aging population that has an appreciation for nostalgia, history, art, culture and a fascination for the past. People appreciate the design, craftsmanship and engineering that went into clock or watch making. Many clocks and watches are heirlooms passed down by generations that have so much sentimental value. Why have a non- working watch, or clock on the mantle or wall? Would it not be wonderful to have it run again as it once did for your parents, grandparents or other older present or departed elder family members?
Do you want to learn more about clock repair? Enroll in our free online clock course here.
Do you want to learn more about watch repair? Enroll in our free online watch course here.
Antique clock and watch repair services today are in high demand. There are thousands of antique clocks and watches waiting to be repaired. Almost anyone can learn with proper instruction. Many people repair clocks or watches as a hobby, maintain their collection and there are others that have a part time or full time business of repairing watches or clocks.
If you know of someone who may be interested in watch or clock repair, please share this post.